Skip to main content

Concluding Thoughts: Our Hopscotch Journey through Spanish Literature

We have finally made it to the end of our hopscotch game. Or maybe we are just beginning our own hopscotch journey. We started at Mama Blanca with the themes of memories and childhood. Childhood perspectives are a theme that was one of my favourites in our journey. Cartucho and Papi also used childlike perspectives to frame things in a lighter sense, more like a game. This perspective is super eye-opening and interesting to me. Adults take things seriously and literally, but children see the world for how it is. This view is one that I adopted, and it helped me understand the books that were more linguistically confusing. It helped me avoid getting too wrapped up in confusing words or unrealistic scenes. This allowed me to not over-analyze and get overwhelmed when reading; I also was able to understand the bigger picture and understand that even though some things don't feel realistic, it's an exaggeration and curiosity; wondering what could happen; wondering if we can have a library that's bigger than any library ever existed, with every version of every text. {I had to include Borges in my last post :) }

Along with childlike perspectives, we have read many texts with overarching themes of games, magic realism, memories, and chaos and violence. I have never been enrolled in a course that has covered so many different themes. I enjoyed this course a lot. It allowed me to read new books with new authors from literature I had never read. I wanted to thank Jon and Daniel for a fantastic semester! And for all your hard work in making this class unforgettable for all of us! I hope future students get a chance to read books, just for the sake of reading. I feel like we have lost the joy of reading as students; we are always focused on what to write about and memorize from the book just to pass a class. I am super excited to read more books in the summer, and I would like to know if you guys have any suggestions?

One other theme that I was grateful we explored was violence and chaos. We read many books with different styles and stories of violence. It is hard to say that I liked reading about the violence, but we can never hide from it. In Latin American literature, violence is always somewhere there, but there is some hope in the end. We saw external and internal violence from Blanca Nieves leaving her farm (internal chaos, sadness) to the children in Cartucho being intrigued with war and death. In Rigoberta MenchĂș, an Indian woman in Guatemala, through all the oppression faced, she became an activist to help her community, and in 100 years of solitude, despite the decline and fate of Macondo and their social isolation, living alone in close communion with community and nature is good for the whole body, mind, and soul. And in Papi, the daughter struggled with her father and his passing but, in the end, was connected with her mother closer than ever, and the book ended on a much lighter note. Showing that amongst all the chaos and grief, it is not all bad, and there is hope. This has taught me that even though these texts have been very heavy, there are glimpses of hope. 

Overall, this course has taught me about many new styles of literature, and even though I took it as a requirement, it has inspired me to take another literature course in the future. So my last question for you guys is, what has been the book that has changed your perspective or thoughts on literature? And how so? Also, what has been your favourite book this far? I would love to know if there is a book I should read that I missed from this course! (mainly because I only read about half the books)

Writing blogs has been so much fun; I will miss it a lot! I wish everyone all the best and good luck with final exams!!!

Comments

  1. Borges! Borges everywhere! :)
    "This has taught me that even though these texts have been very heavy, there are glimpses of hope." I love knowing that despite how complicated some books were to read, and how painful some topics were, you have finished this Term with thoughts of hope. Oppression is something that happens every day in Latin America, be it gender or ethnic, and both children and adults suffer from it. I think having the opportunity to tell these stories in different tones and in different ways already opens up a space for hope. Total silence is death. Thank you for your comments and ideas, we are going to miss all of you too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Campobello's Memories of the Revolution: Cartucho

 Campobello tells stories of the revolution from a child's perspective. In this way, Campobello can capture the memories for what they are, not judged or changed by maturity or politics. I enjoyed reading this book because I could find overarching themes between the stories of death, play, and war. Although this book was out of order sometimes, it forced me to think back to previous pages I had read and compare how the two stories were told.  I wanted to touch on a few things from the lecture and quotes that made me think about these above themes.  First off, the contradiction and play between cause and effect. In history, things happen in a time, place and in order. A cause always has an effect that follows. Campobello writes her story in Memory, not history. In Memory, we are emersed in it, there is no clear beginning, and sometimes things are fuzzy. Campobello's child's point of view focuses on what sticks in her mind and what is essential and has an effect on her. While

Borges and (I's) Game: Labyrinths

Borges's collection of short stories were disconnected, fluid and playful. But for me, this collection took a lot of work to grasp the complete understanding. I still do not fully understand his work, but I think that is the point. Borges titled his collection,  Labyrinths , meaning 'a confusing structure' 'elaborate' 'a maze.' His title sets the tone for his collection, and I found his stories to be confusing, hard to understand and digest, just like a maze—the thrill of not knowing what will happen next because there is no clear path. Like a maze, Borge's  Labyrinths  challenges us to appreciate not knowing what is happening all the time—enjoying the tricky words and playful contradictions and finding joy in them. Personally, I am used to reading novels where the story flows and has timelines and plots, familiar characters and an end. This was a challenge to read, but I tried my best to embrace it. Borges takes us, his readers, on a literal bumpy ride

Garcia Marquez 100 Years of Solitude: Order Amongst the Chaos

Garcia Marquez's novel 100 years of solitude is full of repetition, magic realism and order, with familiar themes of fate, chaos and death. Although we have only read half of the book and still have much more to go, I want to focus on the themes that stood out.  On the first page, my eye caught a quote highlighting the use of magic realism.  "Things have a life of their own [. . .]. It's simply a matter of waking up their souls." (1-2). Marquez introduces us to the theme of magic realism. I have read some books that include magic realism in their literature, and I enjoy it but get lost. I love how Marquez opened the book with this theme because it tells readers and sets them up for the journey they are about to venture into. This book seems confusing or complex because things are unrealistic, or our brains can't wrap around what is happening, especially with magic realism. I got lost many times in reading this book, especially with all the similar names. Although