Skip to main content

Campobello's Memories of the Revolution: Cartucho

 Campobello tells stories of the revolution from a child's perspective. In this way, Campobello can capture the memories for what they are, not judged or changed by maturity or politics. I enjoyed reading this book because I could find overarching themes between the stories of death, play, and war. Although this book was out of order sometimes, it forced me to think back to previous pages I had read and compare how the two stories were told. 

I wanted to touch on a few things from the lecture and quotes that made me think about these above themes. 

First off, the contradiction and play between cause and effect. In history, things happen in a time, place and in order. A cause always has an effect that follows. Campobello writes her story in Memory, not history. In Memory, we are emersed in it, there is no clear beginning, and sometimes things are fuzzy. Campobello's child's point of view focuses on what sticks in her mind and what is essential and has an effect on her. While reading, I noticed a couple times where characters from before appeared on pages later, even after they were executed. This reminded me of Memory and how it is distorted and not driven by time and history. 

The young girl's Memory also plays in language by altering the meaning of things to make a dramatic effect. For example, after reading this quote: "He embraced the bullets and held on to them" (66). I pictured a brave soldier, dying not in fear but accepting his death and being proud of his accomplishments. Even though the bullets come from the gun, not drawn from the body. Although we see children as immature and innocent, their perspectives allow us to see the world for what it is. 

The continuous theme of war and play was evident throughout Campobello's memories. Children play, and they learn through play at young ages. As Campobello's memories are framed in a young girl's mindset, she has not yet been affected by fears or grief. As she watches the men, shouting and laughing on their horseback, shooting targets and singing when they hit one, she sees it as a game. When you picture it like that, war does seem like a game, just like modern-day video games are about war and teaming up and shooting targets. 

"They seemed to be playing on horseback, riding across the plazas, up to the hills, shouting and laughing. Those who witnessed the uprising say it didn't look like one." (81) 

The adults were playing games too. 

"When he wanted to have fun, he practiced target shooting at the hats of men who walked by on the street. He never killed anybody. He was just playing, and no one got angry with him." (7)

And as adults are role models, the girls were eager to watch their games. 

"We girls were eager to see the men fall. [. . .] my sister and I climbed up to peer out of a window, our eyes wide in anticipation. Looking around, we didn't see a single body, which we really regretted." (28)

Although seeing the girls indulge in the adult's sick games was unsettling, it is crucial because it shows what war is all about. Campobello's stories and Memory play an essential role in telling the stories of brave men who fought in the revolution that was overshadowed by generals and other cities. It also reminds us that we are biased and must let go, be free, and sometimes play like a child. When we are wrapped up in our politics, beliefs, and judgements, we lose our view of innocence and see and appreciate the world and everything around us for what it is. 

This book reminded me of my own Memory and childhood memories. 

(History: cause/effect vs. Memory: affect)

 Have you revisited a childhood memory and felt differently about it now that you are older? Or Have you noticed that the order of your memories differs from someone else' same Memory? 

Comments

  1. "Although seeing the girls indulge in the adult's sick games was unsettling"

    Why are the adults' games "sick"? Would it make a difference if it were children playing? And say more about what makes this book "unsettling." Do you think that's deliberate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that the adult game is sick because their game is war. Their game involves victory from seeing someone hurt or dead. It is an extreme game and makes me feel sick, in my opinion. If the children were playing war like a game, I think they would be using pretend guns and not literally harming others. Although the children's intent is still "sick" (people being rewarded for a life lost), it would not be as unsettling for me because they are not physically executing anyone. I think that it is deliberate to make me feel sick. The war and revolution did happen, and it was not all peaceful with the executions and grief. However, it is peaceful in that the streets are safe, they can laugh again at the end of the book, and the game is over for the time being.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alyssa,
    Thanks for your fascinating post! In particular, your thoughts on "Memory and how it is distorted and not driven by time and history" really stuck with me. In reflecting on my own memories, I have noticed that an adult perspective renders me privy to what was lying under the surface of my recollections. Honestly, it's made me sympathise a lot more with my parents (lol). I've also noticed in recent years that myself and my siblings all have slightly different versions of the same memories; most of the core details are the same, but something is just a little off. It definitely sparks some playful debate. Thanks again for your thoughtful question and post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alyssa, I enjoyed reading your perspectives on Cartucho through the themes of death, play, and war! "As Campobello's memories are framed in a young girl's mindset, she has not yet been affected by fears or grief." I have a very similar reasoning for the non-existent portrayal of fears throughout the novel; unless experienced a loss of close family member (eg. her mom) in the war, otherwise it would be difficult to convey a rather complex fear and grief experiences from a child's perspective. I am also curious to see how the narratives would change if the war was Campobello's mother's cause of death. Would she still view the war as a "game"? Would the girls still be eager to see the men fall?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alyssa! I really enjoyed reading your response this week. I also read Cartucho and found that the idea of fragments of memory or the unevenness of memory to be very present as well. I liked how you pointed out that she wrote what was important or stood out to her, because this is very true as we never really got any stories other than ones of her remembering the war. I also never really thought about the intersection of play in this novel either. I found myself to be more focused on the ability to not impose bias' about the war or personal opinions on to the readers. I really enjoyed your post because its left me thinking about a few things in the book that I didn't think of before.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Borges and (I's) Game: Labyrinths

Borges's collection of short stories were disconnected, fluid and playful. But for me, this collection took a lot of work to grasp the complete understanding. I still do not fully understand his work, but I think that is the point. Borges titled his collection,  Labyrinths , meaning 'a confusing structure' 'elaborate' 'a maze.' His title sets the tone for his collection, and I found his stories to be confusing, hard to understand and digest, just like a maze—the thrill of not knowing what will happen next because there is no clear path. Like a maze, Borge's  Labyrinths  challenges us to appreciate not knowing what is happening all the time—enjoying the tricky words and playful contradictions and finding joy in them. Personally, I am used to reading novels where the story flows and has timelines and plots, familiar characters and an end. This was a challenge to read, but I tried my best to embrace it. Borges takes us, his readers, on a literal bumpy ride

Garcia Marquez 100 Years of Solitude: Order Amongst the Chaos

Garcia Marquez's novel 100 years of solitude is full of repetition, magic realism and order, with familiar themes of fate, chaos and death. Although we have only read half of the book and still have much more to go, I want to focus on the themes that stood out.  On the first page, my eye caught a quote highlighting the use of magic realism.  "Things have a life of their own [. . .]. It's simply a matter of waking up their souls." (1-2). Marquez introduces us to the theme of magic realism. I have read some books that include magic realism in their literature, and I enjoy it but get lost. I love how Marquez opened the book with this theme because it tells readers and sets them up for the journey they are about to venture into. This book seems confusing or complex because things are unrealistic, or our brains can't wrap around what is happening, especially with magic realism. I got lost many times in reading this book, especially with all the similar names. Although